Wednesday 19 March 2014

Positive Aspects of Travelling Alone

Each summer break during University I worked for Siemens as part of my scholarship scheme. However, the summer after graduating, I was given off to commence work full time in the September. So between graduating in July 2011 and starting work September I decided to go travelling. I had exactly 6 weeks to do whatever I wanted and because I had worked for the past 3 summers I had a bit of money saved to enable me to have a good trip. I have always been a fan of the USA and had been 3 separate times as a child to Orlando Florida. The last time being age 10, the only time I actually remember. I always wanted to do the west coast of America with it being the land of dreams. I also knew I wanted to do LA specifically. So I went about organising my trip for the whole 6 weeks. I didn't really know exactly what I wanted to do. All I knew was that I would spend 5 weeks on the west coast and spend he final week in the Detroit Area of Michigan seeing my good University friend Danniella, as she was doing her masters there. It was also great as I didn't know when I'd otherwise see the city of my Idol Eminem. So that decided, I booked my flights to LA, then to Detroit then back to Manchester. I also under the guidance of the guy in STA Travel agent booked 3 days in a hostel in West Hollywood, LA to get settled. Now this was something that I wanted to do and also nobody had stated they would also want to do this as well, but to be honest I never really asked. Just told a few friends I was doing it. In my opinion travelling alone was the best thing I could of ever done.

Travelling alone allowed me to be in complete control of what I did, where I went and how I did everything I did. It also made it so I didn't have the concern of someone else should flights be delayed etc. Just me and my iPod - no stress. But little did I know, travelling on my own would have a much more positive aspect on my life than just benefits on the trip. Now I've never not been confident, I always get involved with things and try new things. The biggest issue I did have though was that I was sometimes a little shy, mainly making a move to speak to people. If they would speak to me I would be fine. But I would always be scared to make the first move of speaking to new people as I had this preconception of if I did they would think 'who is this weirdo just talking to me'. Now once arriving in LA, especially around the hostel, I was alone. If I wanted to know stuff how would I find out? Looking back this lack of confidence was evident on my arrival in LA. I went outside and saw a bunch of shuttle buses waiting but I was unsure if they had to be booked or if you could just take one. I was also unsure if it went to where I was heading. I had this huge urge inside me to go over and interrupt the groups of people both working for the companies and the people waiting to take one. I had a feeling that this would be a lot cheaper than taking a taxi and even with the urge to ask burning inside me, I didn't have the balls to ask, so instead took a taxi costing me $50. At the end of my trip I took a shuttle bus back, costing me only $10, so it was a significant difference in price.

So continuing my trip - Day one I went around and got to know the area and I asked the girl on reception for information in regards to what to do and where to go etc. However I would see some people or small groups of people and I wanted to talk to them, but I just nodded to them as to acknowledge them, then go on my way thinking that they wouldn't want to waste their time on me. But not after long I thought I cannot go the whole 6 weeks and not interact with people, make new friends and have a good time. So I grew some balls and approached people in the hostel and just spoke to them, not realising how easy it actually was and the fact I didn't come across as a weirdo. The further the trip went on the better I felt and the more people I spoke to. Not afte rlong I had completely come out of my shell and became this super confidence person I always potentially had inside me. This continued so much upon my return to the UK and completely changed me as a person. So the first positive aspect to travelling alone was that it made me make the effort to speak to other people and in turn it brought a whole lot of confidence out in me. I know if I had travelled with a friend, it would of been just me and them talking and not interacting with anyone else.

After a week in LA, I had exhausted most of the stuff you can do and see there, so decided to spend a week down at Santa Monica to see the beach, go to Malibu and do a little bit of surfing (by do I mean try, with very little success), after that I decided on San Francisco and after that Las Vegas before onto Detroit. All these places were places that I decided to go to, I travelled in the ways most appeasing to me and did all the things that I WANTED to do. Travelling with someone else, there is always compromise and having to do a bit of the things that maybe just one of you wants to do, whereas travelling on your own, you are your own boss. Also I could imagine that discussing what to do next would of caused a few arguments and extra stress. Something that you don't need on a travelling trip as travelling is supposed to be fun and relaxing. So another positive of travelling alone - FREEDOM!

So next time you are thinking of travelling, be it a year or just a few weeks. I strongly recommend considering travelling alone. If you feel it will be scary and you don't have much confidence in yourself - Granted, but a solo journey could be the one thing that changes you and eradicates these traits you feel you possess. You will meet loads of great people in the same position as you so therefore you are not alone!
















No comments:

Post a Comment