Tuesday 11 March 2014

Know it alls who don't actually know a thing at all

I'm the sort of person that generally isn't easily annoyed, but if there is one thing I do hate. It's people that make comments or remarks and claim they know what they're talking about, but actually they don't have a clue. Now I've known or worked with a small handful of these people and I'm sure a lot of people can relate to this. You get some of them who on a regular basis just come out with stuff that is blatant crap and you just think where do they get this stuff from. These are the sorts of people you suss out as idiots straight away and not after long, you just begin to filter out anything that comes out of their mouth. On the other hand you get some which will either challenge a statement you have made or better still will say something that to you doesn't sound completely right, so you question it and they then riddle off a who load of nonsense to back themselves up and basically say you're wrong. The funny thing with this though is the fact that they will come out with something in such a way that it makes you question your own factual knowledge and spend a while thinking 'hmmm maybe they're right'. But after 5 minutes of being put in this trance and a Google search for some facts just to be 100% sure, you laugh to yourself again thinking, where the hell have they got this crap from. It's as if they were the kind of children to always tell fibs and they have been doing it that long they actually believe their own bullshit to be factual. Now not meaning to sound arrogant or big headed, but I am a very intelligent person, I have a first class masters degree in electrical & electronic engineering from a prestigious University to back this comment up. I am also the sort of person that isn't happy until I understand something technical or the way something works 100%. I'm not the kind of sort to 'kind of know' how something works. I know the fundamental physics behind how most electrical components work and the ones I work with I know inside out.  So because of this, when I hear someone speak of testing something in a certain way and they are doing a lot more than necessary - I will make a comment saying you don't need to do that (to get the results you need) and explain why, yet they will still make a comment to back themselves up. Then when I prove my point with factual evidence they some how flip it round to say - 'oh yea that's what I was saying/meant'. Infuriating! Another annoying thing is when people make comments on something you're talking about. But they have just assumed it is a correct statement, because it sounds right... Again, turns out to be a load of bollocks again and I can never imagine where they have got it from.

One funny example I have of a complete bullshit story which many of my college class accepted and I personally thought nothing of it until I went to University goes like this:
...So one of my A-Level Physics teachers, Trev he was called, was teaching us about electrical properties of different materials. Now at school it is very dumbed down for you and you are lead to believe that metals conduct electricity and insulators such as wood and rubber do not. Now the topic in this Physics class at the age or 17 or 18 was about insulators being able to conduct electricity - which is true as the most common electrical equation V=IR states. Ok so conductors have a very low resistance which is why we see electricity flowing at any sort of voltage whereas insulators have a very high resistance, meaning that for a low voltage we will have a negligible amount of current flowing, that is why we say that they don't really conduct electricity. However every material has a finite amount of resistance and even materials such as wood and rubber with resistance values up in the millions and billions of Ohms will conduct large amounts of current granted that the applied voltage is extremely high. An example would be that of a tree touching an overhead power transmission line. Now the example Trev gave, going off the fact that insulators can conduct at large voltages, was that of spark plug cables for car engines. Now for those that don't know, to create a spark across a gap, you need a large voltage - and this is exactly how car sparkplugs work, a voltage in the thousands of volts is generated in the distributor and sent along cables to the spark plugs that sit within the engine head. Trev told us that because of this high voltage the cables actually conduct electricity and I kid you not he made this comment to us -'I made the mistake once of grabbing the cables when the engine was running. It was horrible, I had damaged my hands that I couldn't hold a pint for a week' Now at the time we thought this was true as we were young inexperienced adolescents and the whole subject was about typically know insulators being able to conduct electricity. Now the facts are that yes, typical cable insulators that you find in household products would probably conduct at these voltages. But insulators are created from different materials to be used for different voltage levels. So in spark plug cables the insulation is constructed of super high resistance material and therefore on basic terms doesn't conduct. But to realise this a year or so after leaving college and looking back on it just made me laugh and think, Jesus the people providing the youth of today with false knowledge, Ridiculous.

The final know it alls that actually know nothing at all that I want to finish on, are the ones that you are explaining stuff to and they make out that they already know it. You will be explaining stuff in detail and they will butt in now and again with 'yea yea, I know'... No you don't know, it's why I'm bloody telling you. These people you will also find parroting what you say. As in you will tell them a fact and they will a few minutes later just repeat what you said but in slight different words, making them thinking they sound knowledgeable... Pain in the arse these people, but you seem to find them everywhere. Just another thing you have to get on with!

No comments:

Post a Comment